Passives in use
The slides in the Activity page in the right hand menu contain examples of passives from real writing. Have students do the following:
- Look at the extracts in their contexts.
- Identify the passives.
- For each example, discuss why you think a passive has been used rather than an active.
- Is the passive an agentless passive or is the agent expressed in a phrase starting with by? If it is agentless, why might the agent have been left unexpressed?
- What is the effect if the passive is changed to an active? Try it and see.
- Is the choice of a passive to do with the topic being discussed?
This is a full preview of this page. You can view a couple of pages a day like this without registering. But if you wish to use it in your classroom, please register your details on Englicious (for free) and then log in!