National Curriculum KS1 Y1: Composition
Pupils should be taught to:
- write sentences by:
- saying out loud what they are going to write about
- composing a sentence orally before writing it
- sequencing sentences to form short narratives
- re-reading what they have written to check that it makes sense
- discuss what they have written with the teacher or other pupils
- read aloud their writing clearly enough to be heard by their peers and the teacher.
Notes and guidance (non-statutory)
At the beginning of year 1, not all pupils will have the spelling and handwriting skills they need to write down everything that they can compose out loud.
Pupils should understand, through demonstration, the skills and processes essential to writing: that is, thinking aloud as they collect ideas, drafting, and re-reading to check their meaning is clear.