Adverb identification: Activity 1
Which words do you think are adverbs? Remember the following clues:
- Adverbs can describe a verb, adjective, clause, or other adverb.
- Some adverbs can take an -er suffix to mean more, or an -est suffix to mean most.
- Can you add -s and say two ___s? Adverbs cannot be plural!
- Can you show tense for example with an -ed suffix? Adverbs cannot show tense!
- Adverbs cannot occur after a form of be in predicative position (for example *the shoe is quickly).
Englicious (C) Survey of English Usage, UCL, 2012-15 | Supported by the AHRC and EPSRC. | Cookies