Spelling - Syllables, consonants, vowels: Activity 1
Vowel and consonant sequences
Here are five patterns of vowel (V) and consonant (C) sound sequences in words with one syllable.
- CV: go, though
- VC: up, inn
- CVC: ban, mine
- CCV: slow, true
- CVCC: mint, mined
- Match each of the words below to one of the five pattern groups.
- In each pattern group, look at the numbers of letters in the words compared to the numbers of sounds. What do you notice?
- bask, do, cone, play, tough
- off, pin, least, through, lie
- fly, shows, timed, us, they
Englicious (C) Survey of English Usage, UCL, 2012-15 | Supported by the AHRC and EPSRC. | Cookies